This resource is for anybody who wants to improve their focus mitt and pad work drills for the striking arts.
Why this Online Learning Resource?
Whilst I was initially amused watching these poor ‘pad men’, my amusement soon turned to frustration when it was happening more and more at every event I attended. There seemed to be a complete lack of understanding and experience.
It was then that I decided to develop this training resource to help educate the guy holding the pads.
Every Detail Counts
The difference between winning and losing a fight is very small; if only a small percentage of your mitt work is off point it could be very costly.
Taking out distance management, accuracy, pressure and footwork and simply focusing on punch rate for a second, consider the following:
- In a three minute round you are fed 60 strikes (a relatively low punch rate.)
- Your session consists of five, three minute rounds (5×60 = 300 punches)
- One minute rest in-between each round.
- Add a warm up and cool down
- Multiply this by three times per week.
Even with this minimal input of time, compounded over a six week “fight camp“, an athlete is investing valuable time.
Picking a ‘Pad man’ should not be a case of just choosing whoever is around to hold pads for you at the time, nor should it be having somebody jump in at the last minute before a fight just to adopt the image of “fight trainer”.
Ask yourself this:
“If you were the athlete, would you use a Pad Man who:”
- Just decided to pick up the pads and self-proclaim him-self as competent.
- Just turns up on fight day to hold pads.
- Feeds pads in the same way for every individual no matter opponent, style etc.
- Copy’s one of the Boxing Pad Men from YouTube .
- Could potentially injure the fighter.
- Has no idea of Progression
What you will learn by signing up
- Warm up and warm down
- Injury prevention for the Pad Man
- Getting to Know Your Equipment
- New Fighter Assessment
- The Fighting Measure
- Footwork (who’s hustling who?)
- The Fighting Measure (MMA Specific )
- Why the Number System is Redundant
- The Cross Pads Defence System
- Balance Checks
- Neural Disruption
- Towards Total Freelance
- Downloadable PDF’s
- Pro Fighter Training Sessions
- Go Pro Footage from the Pad Man and Fighters Point of View
- Video Analysis
- Problem Solving Drills